Legal Secretary (Private Client & Tax / Litigation)
Permanent - Full Time
The legal secretary position at Withers Bergman LLP is responsible for providing a broad range of secretarial and administrative support to fee-earners, administrative personnel and clients. The job encounters recurring and new varied work situations of moderate degree of complexity, and includes frequent contact with others inside and outside of the firm including immediate partners, associates, and supervisors, members of other departments or other offices, clients and other professionals. This role is resident the San Francisco office and is assigned to the Private Client & Tax and Dispute Resolution (Litigation) division as well.
- Drafts letters and documents; collects and analyzes information; prepares charts, graphs, and other visuals.
- Transmits information to courts and third parties by electronic filing, preparing submission in accordance with governing rules, creating proofs of service, drafting correspondence, completing courtesy copies, and strict adherence to deadlines.
- Supports fee-earners and clients by reading, researching, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents.
- Maintains attorneys' calendars by scheduling conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Maintains hard copy and electronic filing system (DeskSite/iManage).
- Schedules meetings with internal and external participants, and arranges conference rooms.
- Communicates and obtains information from/for internal and external clients.
- Inputs attorney time into timekeeping software.
- Prepares Estate Planning binders for attorneys.
- Prepares Chrome River reimbursement reports for assigned fee-earners.
- Coordinates monthly billing process between accounting and assigned partner(s). This includes preparation of draft and final client invoices and transmittal of same.
- Supports the New Client Intake process which includes the conflicts check, matter details and Engagement Letter preparation.
- Assists with providing coverage to reception as scheduled by the Office Manager.
- Operates office equipment including photocopy machine and scanner when needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of client and firm matters.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Specific Skills Required
- Must possess strong technical skills, with solid knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint as well as programs such as DeskSite/iManage and Elite.
- Previous experience in preparing pleadings, briefs, declarations, exhibits and other litigation documents, as well as electronic filing documents with Federal and California courts.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style. Ability to compose correspondence as needed.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Knowledge of library operations and records storage procedures for retrieving materials and files.
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the areas of assignment.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively.
- Ability to work both as a team as well as independently.
- California Notary strongly preferred.
Experience and Education Required
- 3+ years as a secretary or administrative assistant in a professional service industry, preferably in a law firm's wealth planning or litigation group.
- High School diploma required, Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years.
We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centers of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focused on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 46% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the US Top 100 Forbes Rich List, 30% of the Top 20 Hong Kong billionaires in the Forbes World's Billionaires list and over 20% of the Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
The firm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Equal employment opportunity has been and will continue to be a fundamental principle at the firm. Employment at the firm is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, disability status, medical condition, genetic information, political activity or affiliation, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. The firm prohibits and will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on the basis of any of these classifications or characteristics.
The firm is committed to complying with all applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) and state and local disability laws, as applicable. It is the policy of the firm not to discriminate against any qualified employee or applicant with respect to any terms or conditions of employment because of such individual’s disability or perceived disability. Such terms or conditions of employment include application procedures, hiring, advancement, discharge, compensation, training, or other privileges of employment. The firm will make a reasonable accommodation for employees or applicants with a qualifying disability unless providing such accommodation would impose undue hardship.