IT Test Manager
Permanent - Full Time
Job title: IT Test Manager
Reporting to: Head of IT Systems
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced IT Test Manager to lead our in house IT testing team that comprises of three IT Test Analysts. We are looking for a candidate to provide strong leadership and know how to manage and mature the firm's IT testing capability. The individual will be responsible for the day to day management and supervision of the testing team whilst also remaining 'hands on' when required. The primary purpose of this role is to ensure software quality through IT testing of any system changes, driven by operational or project needs.
Ultimately, the holder of this role ensures that the firm's end user applications, desktops and IT systems work correctly before release to our staff. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a proven record of developing and implementing a testing strategy to enhance what is already in place. We are looking for someone to shape the future of the team by improving our people, our process and toolsets.
The firm is about to embark on a significant programme to digitise processes and services. This will result in a number of key IT changes which will require a proactive and effective test function that is both agile and functional. Testing will be key to the successful delivery of those initiatives. The right candidate will also have demonstrable experience in developing and strengthening their direct reports.
The individual will work both remotely and from our London office as part of the Global Systems Team. The team undertake the implementation, day-to-day administration and support of all the Firm’s applications and systems, ensuring that the Firm’s policies and procedures are followed at all times.
The Applications, Infrastructure and Testing groups are jointly known as the Systems team. The groups are co-located and work very closely together. Members are primarily based in London but provide support across all regions. In addition, this role will require the individual to work closely with the Project Management Office, Service Delivery and Business Systems teams as well business stakeholders to ensure the effective delivery of business-facing projects and systems change.
The priority for all IT activity is to maintain the highest levels of stability and reliability in the services delivered.
This role requires experience of working in a medium to large multi-site professional services organisation and broad experience of legal industry applications. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required with the ability to work with a wide range of people including vendors, Project Managers, technologists, legal staff, partners, secretaries and other support staff.
A self-starter with proven leadership qualities who possesses a very high level of personal organisation and professionalism is required, together with a 'can-do' attitude and an ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure. A keen eye for detail and a passion for quality and technology is a must.
Areas of focus and responsibilities
- Lead and manage a test team comprising of three IT Test Analysts
- Drive the strategy to increase testing maturity, including where applicable the use automation and tooling
- Review, evaluate and document improvements to existing testing capability and processes
- Define metrics for measuring the performance and efficiency of the function and to report against those metrics on a regular basis, reviewing and redefining metrics as efficiency improves
- Work very closely with the IT Change and Release Manager and IT Applications Manager to drive continual improvement to software releases
- Responsible for the testing of all systems and applications (estimate, plan, and deliver testing activities), including performance, regression and functional testing so as to ensure that quality issues and defects are appropriately identified, documented, tracked, and resolved in the defect tracking system.
- Formulate and provide guidance on the appropriate testing strategies as required for both operational and project needs
- Coordinate and manage testing workloads ensuring there is a thorough and consistent approach
- Develop understanding of the key functionality within applications, documentation and the development of test cases, test scripts and test tools
- Thorough execution of tests scripts and documentation of results – correlate areas of focus and prioritise testing areas based on risk. Raise awareness to critical issues early
- Concise and clear reporting of issues and observations with suppliers, IT and business staff
- Conduct post-release / post implementation and regression testing
- Manage, record and report on pilot feedback
- To progress projects and tasks on time
- Provide regular reports and updates to colleagues on the status of assigned tasks making sure they are consulted where appropriate and issues escalated for attention
- Technical ownership of firms testing tools and test environments
- 3 - 5 years team supervising, leading or management of a testing team
- 3 - 5 years working knowledge of legal applications including but not limited to iManage, Microsoft 365, Bighand, Workshare, Interaction, Elite and associated systems
- 3 years + experience of working with industry standard test management software like Jira
- ISTQB Foundation Level Certified. ISTQB Advanced would be advantageous
- Excellent understanding of testing techniques and the QA and Test lifecycle methodologies
- Excellent ability to learn and understand new software and concepts
- Experience of working in a ITIL-based support environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to take ownership, multi-task and work to deadlines
- Analytical mind-set with technical understanding of software with the ability to troubleshoot and challenge
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Some project management or business analysis experience would be advantageous
- Ability to work in both Waterfall and Agile QA frameworks
- Automation testing experience would be advantageous
- Evidence of having delivered quantifiable improvements to a testing capability
- 9.30am to 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 12 week probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefits package including pension, private medical, season ticket loan, subsidised gym memberships, lifestyle discount scheme, on site café plus more
About Withers Worldwide
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on the full range of their business, personal and philanthropic legal needs, both at home and abroad. With offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean, we provide coverage and services that other law firms focussed on the needs of the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of the Forbes 400 List, 35% of the Hong Kong Forbes Rich List, and 35% of Forbes Asia's Richest Families list.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withers Worldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.