Paralegal (Private Client and Tax)
Fixed Term - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, businesses and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on their business, personal and philanthropic needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the leading international law firm for successful people. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage across the world that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer, working with the CEO of the global firm.
The Wealth Planning practice within the Private Client & Tax Division provides sophisticated legal advice to some of the world’s most successful people, from aristocracy to first, second and third generation entrepreneurs, industrialists, senior executives, celebrities, artists, philanthropists and other prominent figures. This practice generates approximately 55% of the firm's revenues (globally) and is the firm’s engine room. The firm has one of the largest and most comprehensive private client practices in the world. As well as acting for clients with a UK connection, the London Wealth Planning practice has an international focus and acts for clients in Asia, the Middle East and Latin America in relation to trust and succession planning.
We are looking for a robust, career-minded Paralegal to join our market-leading Wealth Planning team. You will work with a broad range of clients (including trustees, administrators, banks, and beneficiaries) in relation to a range of private client related legal matters. Succession planning for international families is a key part of this role, and you will assist with implementing estate-planning arrangements for individuals. The work will involve a mix of domestic UK and international matters. Key elements of the role include but is not limited to:
- Legal research and preparing first draft of advice notes
- Document management, review and analysis
- Assisting in preparing pitches and tenders and in aspects of business development
- Assisting with client events
- Preparing draft documents including wills, powers of attorneys and trust deeds
- Produce accurate, high quality work quickly and efficiently, using the firm's software packages and document management systems
- Preparing first drafts of Terms of Engagement letters; using electronic file opening, ensuring anti-money laundering requirements are adhered to and requesting necessary Know Your Client documentation
- Providing effective and proactive communication with clients, legal staff and other support staff, organising meetings, answering the phone, taking messages, managing e-mail, etc.
- Resolving accounting queries and producing monthly bills using Elite (finance and time recording system)
Key Skills and Experience
- Native Italian speaker is essential
- Experience working as a Paralegal (or in a similar role) is desirable
- Ability to acquire new skills and to understand sophisticated concepts
- Familiarity with technology e.g. Excel, Word
- Strong research skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and under pressure
- Financial aptitude (for billing)
- Strong academics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- This role is a 12 month fixed term contract
- 12 week probation period
- Four week notice period
- Flexible benefit package
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.