Junior Private Client & Tax Associate
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
The Department: Our team helps successful families and their advisors around the world to further the family's business, philanthropic and personal goals, and structure their assets in an efficient way to preserve and protect their wealth now and for future generations. We advise on all aspects of wealth structuring, using sophisticated and creative techniques to provide optimal results that integrate income and transfer tax planning with non-tax goals. We have over 150 lawyers worldwide who concentrate on tax and wealth planning for many of the world's wealthiest families, often with complex structures and global interests. We work together cross-office and cross-discipline to advise on all aspects of tax and wealth planning.
The Role: The focus of this role will be to work alongside partners, counsel, associates and paralegals in advising high net worth individuals and their advisors on complex domestic and international estate and tax planning, trust structuring, and global mobility planning, including working with such clients’ business interests, investment vehicles, family enterprises and charitable organizations.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Strong academic credentials (JD required; LLM is a plus)
- 1 – 3 years' experience practicing in a law firm private client group
- Admitted to, and in good standing with the State Bar of Texas (or the State Bar of Florida and willing and able to attain admission to Texas in near term)
- Strong drafting, writing, research and communication skills
- Experience drafting complex revocable trusts
- Exposure to and experience in drafting sophisticated wealth planning strategies such as IDGTs, GRATs, charitable trusts, nongrantor trusts, etc.
- Knowledge of and ability to research and apply rules governing US federal income and transfer taxation of US and non-US persons, trusts, and estates
- Experience in cross-border planning, such as pre-immigration, expatriation, and wealth planning, and using NumberCruncher, is a plus.
- Desire to work directly with clients and coordinate with intermediaries, with a goal of establishing and maintaining long-term productive relationships
- Strong project management, ability to balance a large number of competing priorities
- Interest in collaborating with team through remote means, including MS Teams, Zoom, etc., and traveling for client and/or team meetings periodically
- Attention to detail
- Team player