Paralegal (PCT International Tax)
Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
About Withers KhattarWong LLP
Since 1896, Withers has been trusted advisors to successful people and businesses with complex legal
needs. We champion our clients' interests, locally and globally, from offices in the key financial centres of Europe, Asia-Pacific, the United States and the Caribbean. We have represented 70% of the Top 100 in The Sunday Times Rich List, 25% of Forbes 400 List of the Wealthiest Americans, 35% of Forbes Hong Kong's 50 Richest People List and 48% of Forbes Singapore's 50 Richest People List.
Our team helps successful families and entrepreneurs around the world structure their assets in a way that will preserve their wealth now and for future generations. This includes assisting families with setting up their family offices, helping to review and restructure the ownership of the family wealth and family businesses to achieve the desired objectives of the family, and advising on immigration planning (including but not limited to application for Singapore employment passes, permanent residency and citizenship status) and also advising on lasting power of attorney, wills and other instruments relevant for estate planning.
Within the scope of our advice on wealth structuring, we help clients to set up structures such as domestic and international trusts, foundations and private trust companies in local as well as offshore jurisdictions and we co-ordinate the acquisition of appropriate investments. We also assist clients with establishment of their bespoke philanthropy structures (be it in the form of a charitable trust or a company limited by guarantee).
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
We are looking for an organised and flexible paralegal to join the team. The role will require the successful applicant to work closely with the team members in the Withers KhattarWong Private Clients and Tax (PCT) team. The scope of work may include but is not limited to:
- Effective communication and seamless legal support for PCT team members and their clients
- Assist PCT team members in the preparation of documents including the drafting, reviewing and amending materials such as wills, memorandums, client care letters and lasting powers of attorney
- Providing ongoing compliance and administrative services
- Creating and maintaining document and correspondence database
- Providing assistance on billing
- Conducting legal research
- Preparing applications for tax incentive/exemptions
- Preparing and/or drafting immigration applications (including employment and other ancillary/relevant visa or visitor passes, Singapore PR application and Singapore citizenship applications)
- Review and prepare summary for relevant planning structures (such as family trust structures)
- General ad hoc and administrative tasks as and when required by the lawyers
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Skills and Experience
- A minimum of two years' experience in a paralegal role is desirable, however all levels will be considered
- Experience within corporate, banking & finance, tax or private client practice is desirable
- Previous billing experience
- Native or business level language skills in either Bahasa or Mandarin, as well as fluency in English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Analytical, organised and can demonstrate initiative
- Able to work as part of a dynamic team and also independently
- Excellent research skills and confident across various technology platforms
- Strong academic record
- Strong skills in working with PowerPoint
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Withersworldwide endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Withersworldwide operates a preferred supplier list and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is the policy of Withersworldwide to provide equal opportunities for all employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.