Permanent - Full Time
Private Client and Tax
Withersworldwide has been acting for successful individuals, businesses and institutions for 125 years. We advise clients on their business, personal and philanthropic needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the leading international law firm for successful people. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage across the world that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We have represented 70% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer, working with the CEO of the global firm.
The Private Client and Tax division
Today, we are the only global law firm dedicated to the personal and private capital needs of high-net-worth individuals and families.
Many of our clients are international families with interests in a number of locations. In a fast-moving and increasingly compliance focused world, the need for integrated advice that reaches across borders has never been greater. With offices across Europe, the United States and Asia-Pacific we provide coverage that other law firms in this area cannot match. Our team of experienced private client solicitors continually look for opportunities to ensure we have a strong presence in the locations where our clients live, work and invest.
Our advice to fiduciaries covers the design and implementation of new plans, as well as the modernization and consolidation of older trusts. We also assist them in complying with the complex rules surrounding investments, accounting, taxes and compliance.
This practice generates approximately 55% of the partnership's revenues and is the largest in the world with over 300 people. We advise on domestic and international tax, estate planning, succession and mental capacity laws in Europe, the US and Asia, as well as facilitating our client's philanthropic endeavours. We have immigration teams in the major financial centres and are well placed to deal with tax investigation and litigation cases. Real estate is very important to our clients, and we have a specialist residential and rural team.
The Trust Manager will assist the Head of the Trust Group to deliver a premium service to trustees, to administer a portfolio of trusts and to assist in the development of ‘family office’ administrative services.
Services can range from a full service (trust management, reviewing of accounts and preparation of tax returns, income tax certificates, etc) to basic administrative action, advice, record-keeping, liaising with third-party professional advisers and clients.
- Undertaking the daily management of a range of trusts and maintaining records to a high quality
- Responding to queries from trustees and colleagues regarding trust management, taxation and accounting
- Reviewing trust accounts for trustees’ approval
- Completion of trustees’ annual tax returns, delivery to HM Revenue and Customs and arranging payments of tax by statutory deadlines
- Corresponding effectively with trustees and beneficiaries regarding distributions of income and capital
- Liaising with investment managers concerning performance, valuations, statements and advices
- Helping to devise ‘family office’ services – administrative matters and collation of information for report preparation
This list of duties and responsibilities is not exhaustive. It is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance of this job and, as such, the role may include the undertaking of additional tasks as required.
Key Skills and Experience
- Minimum three ‘A’ levels
- Legal Executive or (Student) Member of STEP
- Current Trust Officer or higher – minimum of three years of trust management experience
- Knowledge of computerised trust management, trust taxation and trust accounting, preferably CCH systems
- Experience in preparation of Inheritance Tax forms and calculations
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Effective communicator
- IT literate Demonstrable ability to work with people at all levels
- Organised and efficient
- Working hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm but flexibility is a must
- 6 month probation period
- 12 week notice period
- Flexible benefit package
For further information, please contact the recruitment team.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
We endeavour to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, we operate a preferred supplier list ('PSL') and will not be accepting unsolicited applications from non-PSL agencies for this role.
Equal Opportunities Employment Statement
It is our policy to provide equal opportunities for all employees/prospective employees in relation to recruitment, training and promotion. Decisions in these areas will be made only by reference to the requirements of the job and shall not be influenced by any consideration of ethnic origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation or disability.