Associate (Divorce & Family Law)
Permanent - Full Time
Dispute Resolution - Family
Withersworldwide have been acting for successful individuals, families and institutions for over 100 years. We advise clients on their business and personal legal needs both at home and abroad. In this fast moving and increasingly regulated world the need for integrated and timely advice has never been more urgent.
We are recognised as the only international law firm for successful people, their families, their businesses and their philanthropic work. With offices in Europe, Asia, the United States and the Caribbean we provide coverage that other law firms focussed on the individual cannot. We continually look for opportunities to ensure we are based in the same locations as our clients and their wealth. We have represented 51% of the Top-100 ‘Sunday Times Rich List’, as well as a significant number of people listed in the US (Forbes) and Asian (Hurun) Rich Lists.
The firm consists of three global legal Divisions: Business; Dispute Resolution and Private Client & Tax. Each Division is headed by a Divisional CEO and Divisional Operating Officer. There is also an overarching CEO of the global firm.
The global Family Law team has been independently rated as a market leader in Tier 1 categories of Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 for many years. The department advises on all areas of family law, with a particular focus on the financial issues that arise when relationships are formalised or break down. Much of the work involves the negotiation and settlement of complex financial cases, often with an international perspective and further complicated by tax or trust issues.
The family law team is supported by in-house experts in other areas of the firm including Private Client & Tax, Trust Litigation, Corporate and Employment. They provide detailed advice at short notice for clients who are looking for the best location to file proceedings.
Another area of special interest is the resolution of disputes over children, including issues of custody, access, and the problems that may arise when one parent wishes to move to live abroad with the children. In addition advice is given to trustees on the ramifications of a family member's marriage, civil partnership or separation. The global team has a very strong pre-nuptials practice, often with international elements.
The Role (this is not an exhaustive list):
- To work as an integrated member of the family team in the Los Angeles office, with a goal of strengthening and expanding the reputation of the family department
- Giving advice on all areas of family law
- To deal with contentious and non-contentious family matters for a variety of clients
- Working on issues including divorce, complex financial disputes, pre-nuptial agreements, cohabitation and disputes concerning children
- Participate in client meetings and interface with clients
- Co-ordinating and advising on international trust elements of divorce litigation
- Play an active role in client and business development initiatives both internally and externally
- Strong academic credentials (JD required)
- Minimum of 2 years practicing law in a law firm family law group
- Admitted to practice and in good standing with the State Bar of California
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective team player
- An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style
- A willingness to take responsibility and ability to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice
- Excellent technical ability, solid drafting skills and strong research skills
- Ability to communicate and handle client contact (both internal and external) from the outset
- A commercial and pragmatic outlook
- Strong IT skills (e.g. Word & Excel)
- Attention to detail
For further information, please contact Nikki Raiman.