Paralegal (Divorce & Family Law)
Permanent - Full Time
Dispute Resolution - Family
The family law team advises on all areas of family law, with a particular focus on the financial issues that arise when relationships are formalized or break down. Much of the work involves the negotiation and settlement of complex financial cases, which is further complicated by tax or trust issues.
The team is supported by in-house experts in other areas of the firm including Wealth Planning, Trust litigation, Corporate, and Employment. They provide detailed advice at short notice for clients who are looking for the best location to file proceedings.
Another area of special interest is the resolution of disputes over children, including issues of custody, access, and the problems that may arise when one parent wishes to move to live elsewhere with the children. In addition, advice is given to trustees on the ramifications of a family member's marriage, civil partnership, or separation.
The role will involve all aspects of litigation, including:
▪ Draft legal documents and pleadings, including deposition notices, subpoenas, motions, certifications, contracts, briefs, and complaints.
▪ Coordinate and schedule hearings, mediations, depositions, and client meetings.
▪ Research tasks (either on points of law or more general research).
▪ Assist with the preparation for depositions and mediations.
▪ Assist with the preparation for trial and hearings.
▪ File documents with federal and state courts.
▪ Prepare binders for court.
Key skills and experience
▪ A minimum of five years of experience as a family law paralegal, or experience in a closely related field.
▪ Must possess strong technical skills and have excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
▪ Experience with iManage/FileSite, or other document management system.
▪ Ability to multi-task and work under strict deadlines with strong attention to detail.
▪ Strong communication skills – the ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing.
▪ Interpersonal skills – the ability to establish effective working relationships with colleagues and clients.